Back to Children's Literature
Three Little Firefighters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
by Eric Carle
This classic tale follows a caterpillar’s journey from egg to butterfly. Count the many foods caterpillar eats as he grows bigger and bigger.
Resources for The Very Hungry Caterpillar:
Discovering the Math: Book Guide (English)
Discovering the Math: Book Guide (Español)
**Spanish Versions coming soon!
Topics: counting, days of the week, cause and effect, categorizing, comparisons
Activities To Do Together:
Use the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar to count, categorize, and compare with your child while exploring cause and effect relationships.
While reading the book:
• Find the little egg on the leaf and compare the egg’s size to the leaf’s size.
• Explore the idea of cause and effect by looking at what the caterpillar ate and how he changed over the week. While reading, ask your child what changed on Saturday and how the caterpillar reacted. Ask you child what might have made the caterpillar feel better on Sunday.
• Point out the vibrant colors on each page.
• Point to and count the food on each new page.
• Compare the shapes of the fruit.
When you have finished reading the story, try the following:
• Discuss sequences. Ask your child to retell the story. What did the caterpillar do first, second, next, later, and at the end?
• Count the fruit the caterpillar ate each day with your child. Count all of the foods the caterpillar ate over the course of the week.
• Categorize the food the caterpillar ate—for example, which foods grow on plants, which do not. Which of the foods have seeds? Which do not?
• Talk about the days of the week. Do you have any daily routines? What do you do first, second, and third when you wake up? Count with your child how many days are in one week.
Please check out the Book Review for The Very Hungry Caterpillar for more!
Online External Resources for The Very Hungry Caterpillar:
Very Hungry Caterpillar Sensory Tub ( English)
Caterpillar Venn Diagram/Monarch (English)
Caterpillar Venn Diagram/Monarch (Español)
A Very Hungry Scavenger Hunt (English)
Una Muy Hambrienta Busqueda de Tesoros (Español)